Monday 1 April 2013

Erick Higuera wins Stan Waterman's Award for Excellent in Underwater Videography

Well, last weekend's dive show across the pond at Beneath the Sea proved to be a very, very special moment for me. I fell in love with Baja California in Mexico when I first visited there in 2001, and between 2002 and 2004 participated in a few whale shark research trips with the Shark Research Institute. It was there I met Erick Higuera who was working at the time as a Divemaster for the Club Cantamar. I was living in Mexico in Puerto Vallarta and was using my Olympus 5050 with my first ever strobe, an Ikelite DS-125. Erick back in 2004 had just bought his first compact camera, the bigger brother to mine in an Olympus 5060. I showed him everything I knew and it is incredible to have seen his journey from working on the Solmar V, a gorgeous liveaboard taking in the very best of Mexico's underwater jewels, to working with Lawrence Grothman on white sharks. He spent 3 years making the film Baja and am very, very proud to know Erick. Here is the video for you to sit back, relax, grab a cool refresco and take in the very, very best of what Mexico awaits for you ... It just goes to show that you just never know where your adventures will take you with your compact ...

No comments: